D.O.O.R. 2 Adulthood: A Participatory-Action Research Approach to the Evaluation of an Online Transition Resource for Youth with Disabilities in Ontario
From 2003-2006 the Provincial Transition Working Group collaborated to develop an interactive online resource service called "D.O.O.R. 2 Adulthood (Disability Ontario Online Resource for Transition to Adulthood)". The long-term outcome of "D.O.O.R. 2 Adulthood" is to improve the process of transition to adulthood and to adult programs and services for youth with disabilities and their families in Ontario.
In order to implement an online resource that is accessible, usable, effective and efficient, it was critical to gain the perspectives of youths with disabilities, family members and service providers regarding their preferences for the resource and to evaluate its use and impact. The purpose of this project was to use a participatory action research (PAR) approach to evaluate the development and implementation of "D.O.O.R. 2 Adulthood" (formerly "Transition Ontario"). The collaborative, inter-agency Working Group guided the complex and multifaceted nature of this evaluation project.
- Yani Hamdani
- Debra Stewart
- Laura Forma
- Provincial Transition Working Group
- to collect information about the needs, preferences and ideas of youth with disabilities, parents and service providers in Ontario for the different components of an online transition resource;
- to evaluate the use, utility and impact of an online resource about transition to adulthood for youth with disabilities in Ontario;
- to identify gaps in transition services in Ontario within and between multiple sectors, i.e. health, social services and education, and between child and adult services; and,
- to identify best practices for facilitating youth with disabilities in their transition to adulthood.
Hamdani, Y., Stewart, D., Forma, L., et al.. DOOR 2 Adulthood. Poster presentation at Ontario Association of Children's Rehabilitation Services Annual Conference. Niagara Falls Ont., October 3, 2005.
Hamdani, Y., Stewart, D., Forma, L., et al. DOOR 2 Adulthood Official Launch. Transitions Conference 3: Growing Up Ready. Toronto, ON., May 13, 2006.
Hamdani, Y., Stewart, D., Forma, L., et al (2006). A Participatory-Action Research Approach to the Evaluation of an Online Transition Resource for Youth with Disabilities in Ontario. Ministry of Health and Long-term Care Children with Special Needs Branch.